Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2010 NYC PIZZA TOUR


Yes, I know I'm REALLY LATE with this entry! But I wanted to write about it so I will! So a few friends and I went on this little pizza tour back in the beginning of Summer (I seriously think it was June 8th? That's how late I am...haha!) We hit up a few places and together shared a bunch of different slices of pizza. I will recap you with what we tried and what I thought of each place.

*** WARNING: VERY IMAGE HEAVY *** :) ENJOY~

POSTO PIZZA (2nd ave btw 18+19th street):

Typical cheese pizza. Wasn't that enthralled by it. The slices are really small, kind like 1/4th the size of a normal slice. Really thin crust, simple, easy to eat, good for being the first pit stop of the morning.


ARTICHOKE BASILLE'S PIZZERIA (14th st btw 1st+2nd ave)


This pizza was really interesting. It was super cheesey and thick crusted. The sauce was something like alfredo sauce, completely drenched the pizza.



Flavorful, thick, saucy and cheesey... it was everything you really needed a pizza to be. I remember burning the roof of my mouth when I bit it... so be careful. Each slice is huge, I think you get sick/bored of the cheesiness by the time you get to 3/4th of the slice being finished. So, just drink a lot of water...

VENEIRO'S:


Our next stop was to break the Pizza-cycle with some dessert. We walked over to Veniero's Pastry Shop (11th street btw 1st+2nd ave). Biggest mistake. It was decent, but to me, it felt like some sort of over-done tourist trap. The space was real tacky, gold-mirrors and all this jazzy stuff all around. The pastries didn't seem that fresh, they were overly glazed and super DUPER sweet. Could have lived without it.

LUZZO'S PIZZERIA:


Then we went back to Pizzas. Our next stop, "Luzzo's" (1st ave btw 12th+13th st)
This was my personal favorite place. Most of us were pretty stuffed from the past places, so we all wanted something lighter. We ordered the pizza with arugula + ham topping. It was amazing !!! The arugula was so refreshing. The ham was sliced real thin so it wasn't overbearing, and the just completely packed the pizza with a ton of arugula. Actually, I've never had arugula before, prior to this pizza, and now I'm in love with this plant. The guys that worked there were real nice too, they decided to pose for us and take pictures... hah

MOTORINO'S:

Our LAST pizzeria stop was "Mororino's". A BIG no-no for me. We tried the Brussels sprout toppings- to be honest, it tasted bad. The Brussels sprouts were all burnt and tasted like charcoal, and the pizza wasn't anything I can remember. That's all I need to say. Here's a picture to sum up my words.

I think the coolest thing about that place was that the pizza box looked hot- that's about it..

DESSERT TRUCK WORKS:

The last place we went to was called, yes, my pick, "Dessert Truck Works". When I yelped it, I thought it was going to be an actual truck, but it ended up being a real shop! It was really nice there. The place was beautifully renovated, brand new, menu written in chalk, real cute place. I ordered the Honey-Rosemary Ice Cream. It was so good !!! Sweet, but not too sweet, rich, but not too rich.. ahh it was lovely. I'd go back here again anyday. They had a lot of other cool pastries that I wanted to try- all pretty decently priced. It's a cool place to just take a friend, date, or whatever to hang out and get something sweet. I'd pick this over momofuku any_day_....



The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment