Monday, October 4, 2010

What is a Fooobie?

I'm going to tell you all a little story. It's entertaining, trust me, try to read to the end.

I first came up with this idea when I was sitting on a night train from Venice to Naples in Italy in December of 2009. I kid you NOT. I still have the memo that I wrote to myself on my blackberry that night. I couldn't sleep because the train was bobbling around too much so I just sat there, staring in the dark, thinking about all the crazy foods that we were trying that week and how I would be able to share it with people. I had eaten an AMAZING dinner that night, and photographed it, but then I thought... okay, so now what? Show people these pictures on facebook? Nah, how about I make a blog that can explain it and also tell people where they can get these YUMMY foods as well.

Which then led me to think... I know nothing about food. My friends always talk about foods, restaurants, yada yada, stuff that I don't really care about...they're all super foodies... and I just eat and take pictures.

So, I decided to combine the word: Noob and Foodie. If you guys do not know, a NOOB derived from the word Newbie, which from terms have been diluted to just a Noob or NUB. Someone who is a NOVICE at something. A Foodie is someone who is very much familiar with the Food Culture of the world- something like that. Which when you combined the two words, what comes about is: FOOBIE. BUT, foobie was already taken by someone... so I named this blog, FOOOBIE.... (with 3 O's instead of 2)...

So then we come to now, 6 months later, and a whole bunch of posts. My dear friend, Jessica Tseng left a message on my Buzz post. "Jess Tseng - I was googling your food blog because Jon's coming down this weekend and a couple of hs friends wanted to get food... I remembered that your blog was called "Fooobie", but google told me what Foobies really meant. Oct 1"

I then proceeded to google what 'Foobie' REALLY meant. Urban dictionary SURE TOLD ME!

Urban Dictionary Says this:
1. Foobie
Foobie, a compound word made up of fake, and boobies. To describe not only those wondrous silicon orbs that seem to abound everywhere these days, but any variety of artificially enhanced hooters

However, I'd like to use the #4 definition, which is this:
4. foobie
1:) a generic exclamation to address the approach of another.
2:) one who is silly or meaningless; a doofus. commonly used with friends or friendly acquaintances.

DOH

Am I going to change my blog name? No. It'll take too much work to move all my posts over. So I'm going to celebrate this discovery with some imagery that I saw in Japan in 2004. Boobie Bread!



Disclaimer: I hope none of you guys found this offensive. If so, read someone else's blog.

1 comment:

  1. Disclaimer: I hope none of you guys found this offensive. If so, read someone else's blog.

    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete